View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
feedingschennzy

vCash: 500
I've brought this up a few times without much response but I'm just curious as to why as we consider various young stud RFA defensemen, Michael Del Zotto's name hasn't come up. It seems, in my opinion to make perfect sense to the flyers, as contract talks seem to have stalled and he could fill an important void for us going forward. A young defensive pairing of Schenn-Del Z may not be anything legendary, but will be sufficient in years to come, and I think we should think about an offer sheet for the following reasons:

1) The Rangers have a lot of money tied up in Richards and Nash, nearly 20% of their payroll in a 63 million dollar cap next year will go to two players. Money may not be tight yet for them but it certainly is getting close.
2) In the 2014 and 2015 off seasons, New York will see a plethora of star players looking for new contracts.

2014: Stepan, Hagelin, and McDonagh are all slated to become RFA's and will be commanding more money than their current contracts.

2015: Krieder will be an RFA, while Gaborik, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi, and most importantly Lundqvist are all slated to become UFA's. While I could surely see Gaborik walking or taking a massive pay-cut, those other names will all be receiving contracts that are at least as much if not more (Krieder, Girardi, Callahan) than they currently make.

Essentially what it comes down to is do the Rangers value Del Zotto enough to risk losing McDonagh or Krieder? I'm not entirely sure.

2) The convention around the league is that offer sheets create bad blood between GM's and teams, and that they are frowned upon. But as the flyers, why should we owe it to help out the Rangers when our prime need is sitting in their office with stalled negotiations? If it were another team I may hesitate, but arguably our largest rival? I don't see why not.

3) Given their financial issues, an offer sheet may not have to be even that substantial for them to relinquish him to us. Something like 4 years at 4.5 a year could actually get the job done, and if it doesn't and they sign him, thats a large chunk of cash that they cannot spend on their other free agents.

So while the odds of this happening are slim, for me, an offer sheet to New York is at least worth thinking about instead of Kulikov or Subban.

feedingschennzy is offline   Reply With Quote