Old
01-10-2013, 11:38 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Petr Sykora was expected to re-sign with the Devils, but evidently one side or the other backed out for one reason or another. Nice second line fill-in for Ruutu? Yes, I realize they play completely different styles, but we need the scoring.

Oh, and I know you all missed me. And I'm not even sure I'm coming back. This lockout has made me mad. I know it's made everyone mad, but I can't even talk about lines or games yet. I saw the note about Sykora and I tried to see him fitting in here, but I just don't care. I can't see past the elephant in the room. I can't watch Gary Bettman at a podium apologizing. In my opinion, he's simply got to resign. I got totally invested into this game over the course of many years and he just doesn't get to do this, let alone three times. And now he doesn't get to pretend it didn't happen and everything is fine.

The trust is broken, and it has been for a long time. I think getting rid of Bettman is the single best thing the NHL can do to win back fans. SHOW us you're sorry. SHOW us you want to move on. We're not going to need another CBA for 7-8-9 years anyhow. I'm certain the players will move the day-to-day responsibilities over to Steve Fehr from Donald any day now. There's no reason for Don to be involved. His job is done.

Let's make a clean start with Daly and Steve Fehr and rid ourselves of the polarizing guys who broke the fans trust, especially Bettman.

That's what I think they should put on the ice instead of "Thank you fans" this time around. Put Gary's mugshot with the words "I'd like to announce my resignation, effective immediately ..."
Can't say I blame you, and Sykora would be an interesting option if he'd do it.

But as for Gary, he does his job of being the guy to hate. Personally I'm with you in that I'd like to see Daly take over the day to day operations, or possibly even the guy they brought in from the NFL who came up with the Winter Classic idea and a lot of other things that have worked very nicely. But I think we're going to have to wait a couple seasons for Gary to go. The owners will want to see what the fallout is from this lockout, and if the 2013-14 season is still fed up fans and low turnout at the gate, Gary's gonna go. Otherwise I think he'll be here through the NHL's 2017 centennial and then leave things to Daly.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote