01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Interesting.

He played 8 games in 2002-03, going .913 SV% and 2.82 GAA and 34 in 2003-04, going .900 and 2.99 GAA. So that is 42 games on a terrible team where his numbers are actually worse than his career numbers that inflate his now current numbers. Plus we all know that you can never count ALL of someone's stats as part of their career line. You have to discredit some of them. I mean Giroux isn't really that good, he has never been a PPG player if you don't last season

Ok that is silly. I know Leighton is not agreat goalie, but I don't understand why the team would need five goals per game with him net. It has never been like that before. Yes, the team will have to play better when he is net...just like with any BACKUP goalie. But the team is not going to lose every game that he plays simply because his name is Michael Leighton.

That's fine, I wasn't really commenting on Biron being good or bad, just that he was a name that everyone mentioned as a potential backup and he had similar stats last year and over his entire career to that of Leighton. Don't get me wrong, if I had a choice I would take Biron every single day, but that doesn't mean that the difference between the two is Vezina and High School goalie.

The team will need 5 goals because we aren't nearly as good defensively as we were during his last stint. It's entirely possible Leighton lets in 4 goals per game or close to it this year. If we have another franchise all-time defensive performance again, then he'll be fine...but I don't think anybody expects that to happen. Good defense makes up for bad goaltending and vice versa. However, when Leighton is in net it's far more likely we'll be getting bad goaltending and bad defense. That's not a recipe for low goals against.

I doubt he gets many starts though. Bryz might start something like 44 games. I just do not understand the org's bizarre attachment to the guy.

His name being Leighton has zero to do with it. His lacking ability as an NHL goaltender is what's relevant.