View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Really? Are you overrating callahan? Because it sounds like you are. You say its not about pride or aka egos, but it sure sounds that way. What is there to "earn"? Did you not watch the playoffs last year? Or how about the entire season of watching hagelin? Those two guys can't "fetch" the puck as well as callahan? They may not be as strong as callahan but their speed sure as hell makes up for that in retrieving pucks. And sure Kreider's sample size is small but he was playing with better players during those playoffs, top 6 players. He flourished.

Why are we demoting him to lesser talent? You're being overly generous stating Boyle and Pyatt are good for double digit goals. Boyle has struggled throughout his career to establish the offensive side of his game. And in a 48 game shortened season? This guy will be lucky if he puts up 3-4 goals if he plays like he did last year. Pyatt's ceiling is 10 in a shortened season. And I love those two guys. I love their game. But Kreider's game is not suited for that line. I don't care how much more experience callahan has, or that he wears the "C"; you do what is best for the team. Callahan is better suited for that line. It is not a "lesser" role, it is the correct role. It is the role that gives Torts and shut down checking line against opposing team's best.

And if you think a line of Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan would get less minutes then you really haven't been paying attention to Torts the past couple years.
48 game season has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with anything. I don't know why you're even mentioning it.

Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan would get less minutes than our top-2, regardless of what you feel. Boyle's tired after 4 strides. Pyatt has never played for Torts.

The gaming nerds who classify Callahan as a grinder want to see Callahan in that type of role because they learned in a video game that's where those types of players belong. The real game is much different though.

Everyone is so caught up in goals, goals, goals, that they spend time trying to think of the best offensive lines they can imagine. They are all fools, in my opinion. Fools that don't understand jack **** about the dynamics of the game. Preventing scoring opportunities is just as important as creating them. Some of us fail to realize that this club outproduced most teams in the league offensively. And to boot, we acquired another star offensive player.

Kreider's not a workhorse that's going to stir things up in the neutral zone like Callahan. He's not going to win the 1-on-1 battles like Callahan. He's not going to prevent odd-man rushes by being keen to the flow of the game like Callahan. And I bet you, he won't outproduce Callahan next year either.

Underrate Callahan? I think you absolutely do. I think anyone here who really believes that both Hagelin and Kreider are better options in our top-6 are focusing on all the wrong things.