View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
And no, I don't think 1-2 GMs are infallible. I do think that 7-9 of them aren't going to be totally out to lunch about the exact same thing at the exact same time.
Oh, really?

1993: 13 of 24 GMs leave Curtis Joseph off of their ballots despite playing 68 Games and leading the league in Shots Against and Save Percentage. Joseph's Blues make the playoffs, but the GMs are more drawn to voting for Ed Belfour, who records 41 Wins to Joseph's 29 and 7 Shutouts to Joseph's 1 while playing with Norris-winning Chris Chelios. Ultimately, Belfour appears on 22 of 24 ballots, with more 1st Place votes (15) than Joseph has total votes (11).

1999: 70% of GMs do not name Dominik Hasek their #1 goaltender. 22% leave him off of the ballot completely. Martin Brodeur records 11 votes despite finishing below the Top-20 in Save Percentage, 12th in GAA, and 13th in SOs. He leads the league in Wins, however, with 39.

2001: Martin Brodeur, again, records 10 votes despite finishing below the Top-20 in Save Percentage. He leads the league in Wins.

2008: 43% of GMs name Evgeni Nabokov the best goaltender. 87% name him as either #1 or #2. Evgeni Nabokov is below the Top-20 in Save Percentage, below the Top-10 in Shots Against, but instead simply leads the league in Wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
You like save percentage? Lundqvist beats Luongo by a small margin during the 7 years they were in the league together. There are reasons to pick Luongo over Lundqvist (career value at the top of the list), but there are reasons to take Lundqvist, as well.
Because this sample does not contain all of Luongo's prime. In fact, it cuts off four seasons in which Luongo was top-ten in the statistic. This is a very poor argument, comparing one goaltender's short career to the overlap of another goaltender's late-prime and decline. I'm amazed you would even think that this would be worth mentioning at all.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote