View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Nash

vCash: 500
Toronto's situation is hard to read. By going the route if rebuilding on the fly, they don't have a cupboard of high calibre prospects and they aren't particularly deep in any position with the pros. Center is a true weakness, but the Leafs were able to score with the likes of Lupul and Kessel. You would hope that JVR and a resurgent Kulemon bolster the offense. Rielly is the only true elite prospect. Gardiner likely tops out at second pairing on most teams. Kadri hasn't even been able to crack the Leafs roster full time after 4 years. Kessel and Lupul are in their prime, as is Phaneuf. Perpetually missing the playoffs and not improving the glaring holes has Toronto as an undesirable location for UFAs. People will cite the fish bowl effect being a larger contributing factor, but if the Leafs were a winning team, that fish bowl is an ego stroking place of worship to the players who succeed. The Leafs need stability in net and to start winning. You just can't keep banking on future success.

Even Edmonton, whose core has 3 first overall picks and other high end prospects, will have issues if the team continues to lose. Getting Schultz was a coup, but the D core is still relatively weak and Dubnyk hasn't proven much yet. At least they have value to trade.

I don't know if Luongo to the Leafs is ideal for either party. I think Nonis should be able to sell Luongo on waiving seeing the success Roberto had after Nonis got him last time. However, Nonis has been Burke's right hand man the whole tenure. Right now he seems to be getting some credit from Leaf fans for being the de facto day to day GM and bring a primary on the Phaneuf deal, but he was also there for the Kessel trade too.

As a Canucks fan, there really isn't much that interests me from the Leafs. Obviously Rielly, Lupul, 1st round pick and Gardiner are interests, but the Leafs likely won't part with any of them. Otherwise, I just don't see much value in anything else the Leafs could offer. The rest of the prospects are second line/pairing longshots or worse. Bozak is not on the top two lines on practically any other team and is a UFA soon. I know Leafs fans will say Luongo will return less value, but I can't see him going for little to no value and that's pretty much all the Leafs have to offer right now.