View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
If Bennett earns the spot, he earns the spot. I think he's ready for the NHL, he's 6'1"/6'2" almost 210 lbs. He's 21 years old with some NCAA and AHL hockey. If he's better than Jeffrey or Tangradi, you give him that spot.

He's not too young or too inexperienced for the NHL, the Pens management and coaching just has to see how he plays at the highest level.

I look at Jordan Eberle for example, he's 22 and entering his 3rd season, he's 5'11" and 184 lbs. He's a valuable winger on the Oilers, he was drafted 22nd overall in 2008 and made the Oilers at age 20 in 2010. Not saying Bennett will have the same path as Eberle, but there's no reason to send him back to WBS if he flourishes at Pens camp with Crosby or Malkin.
But camp is just that, camp. It's different if it's a full season with exhibition games and a longer tryout to see what you have in him, but it's tougher to crack a lineup and show what you got in a few days of camp with no exhibition games.

Bunch of guys might not have made their NHL teams and earned a spot last year if they didn't have the full month of preseason stuff (ie. Gardiner).

Bennett might not get that chance this year.

Unless he really knocks socks off at camp / tryout games, I wouldn't be surprised or even upset with a full year in the A.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote