View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think you're selling Blyleven way short, especially if you want to go with stats. Blyleven belonged in the Hall, and was overlooked for far too long.

For me, Morris is lacking as a HoF candidate on a historical basis. Up against the majority of other HoF pitchers, he is clearly on the low end of the totem pole. At the same time, he was still one of the better pitchers of his era. Do we reward him for being among the best of his time or penalize him for his time not really measuring up to other eras?

I'm fine going either way with Morris, and putting him in Cooperstown isn't going to hurt anyone. I think Tram and Lou deserve it more, though.

The system let us down, but I don't think it is broken beyond repair. They need to revamp who votes, tighten up to either include people beyond reporters or to only include people who report on baseball and follow the sport closely - no more managing editors or writers who have been outside the loop for 10+ years. In a year, with everyone getting this little protest out of their system, we might have a massive HoF class.
Blyleven was good, but he put up most of his stats in the 70s when there was much less offense than in the 80s. Actually when you look at the stats, Blyleven and Morris compare fairly closely if you adjust for the lower scoring overall in the 70s (Blyleven's 80s ERAs were elevated like Morris') and for the extra couple of seasons he had because he made the show a little younger.

Morris also had 7 top 10 Cy Young finishes compared to Blyleven's 4. On the "best of his time" argument, I recall people saying similar things about Jim Rice before and after he got elected - his numbers aren't elite overall but he had a few dominant seasons, and he's in. And without any of the postseason success that Morris had.

I just don't get why some guys with stats that obviously don't stack up to the super-duper HOF guys get in, and other guys with nearly identical stats don't get in. Makes no sense. I can buy that Barry Larkin should be in, but if he's in, Tram has to be in too. Ditto for Morris and some of the comparables I mentioned.

If you're not going to put in anyone from the Steroid Era, you might as well let in the guys like Tram and Morris. Otherwise the next 20 years or so are going to be extremely light for inductions.