Thread: News Article: I don't heart Brian Wilde
View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Defensive systemic hockey works well to hide the deficiencies of bad teams but the reality is that a bad team can't win it all. It gave us the best shot at hiding our deficiencies to placate fans with no long term vision who think they're not gonna be alive to see another season. It also takes a dump on developping young players which helps perpetuating mediocrity. A lot of people on this board seem to love mediocrity so Martin was a hit with that crowd.
You had me agreeing with you until the people like mediocrity and the insinuation that young players' development is hindered in a defensive system. I think they actually get better learning structure and can extend their careers that way. And I can't speak for others, but what I liked isn't mediocrity, it's that that for a couple years and especially during that run, there was a small part of me that thought maybe we're actually going to be that Cinderella story. The Habs had no business winning in 86 and arguably in 93 and this was the closest I've felt since then (well 93 I was a bit young in 86) to believing we actually had a chance. That's why I liked Martin. We beat Ovechkin and Crosby by outsmarting them (and yes Halak was a HUGE part of that). But the buzz it created and to see the city the way it was....It had been too long. And Martin brought that back, if only for a few years. Some of my best memories as a Habs fan are from when he was the coach.

Having said that, I'm happy about the pick we got and I'm happy we are going in a new direction. That's exciting in its own right. Though I can't say I have fond memories of Therrien, but people learn from past mistakes so we'll see.

Last edited by Jigger77: 01-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote