View Single Post
Old
01-10-2013, 09:51 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
to be fair, Blyleven was 29 in 1980 while Morris was only 25. Morris spent more of the 80s in his prime while Blyleven was in the second half of his career- and Blyleven still posted better K and walk rates, and at least a comparable whip (admittedly I'm just not up to plugging all of those numbers into a calculator right now). This isn't to say I don't want Morris in the Hall, I'm still fine with it, but Blyleven was a helluva pitcher, and I think his case is much stronger than what was built up for guys like Dawson and Rice.

I'm with you on Tram, though. I still think the only contemporary who was clearly better was Ripkin. Smith was great defensively, but his bat was horrible. And Yount spent half his career in centerfield. I have to wonder if Trammell would have benefited from a move to the outfield in his thirties. He might have been able to stay healthier and amass larger numbers.
Having Ozzie Smith in the Hall screws up all kinds of comparables. Is Omar Vizquel a Hall of Famer? He was a much better hitter, put up much better offensive numbers (outside of SBs, where Vizquel still racked up a bunch), and was regarded as the best defensive SS of his era. Is he a HOFer? A first ballot guy like Ozzie Smith?

Then you have to figure if Tram were to have moved to the OF, he'd end up in Dale Murphy territory - really good player who put up solid numbers, but those numbers don't really measure up against other top OFs.

The fact that Ozzie Smith was a first ballot Hall of Famer is just embarrassing.