View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 05:58 AM
EspenK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Short answer:

I think it's safe to say that, after 140 years of professional baseball, anyone who finishes their career among the 10 best at their position is probably worthy of the first ballot.

But that's not the point. I think that a lot of assumptions have been made about who's clean and who's not, which has been reflected in the voting. Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, Piazza...they all face an uphill climb.

But here's where it gets really dicey. Next year, Frank Thomas comes up on the HOF ballot. Thomas is one of the greatest hitters in history and, although a butcher in the field, played at a position where poor defense is considered to be acceptable. If Thomas goes in, then the BBWAA is making a tacit statement that "Thomas was great, and he's clean". But we don't know that. We don't know if Jim Thome, or Gary Sheffield, or Manny Ramirez, or Jeff Bagwell, or any of those other guys are actually clean or not.

Anybody whose career was primarily 1994-present is going to be under serious scrutiny, and justifiably so. The problem comes by putting in someone perceived to be clean, with the possibility that we find out down the road that he was not. I used Jeter as the original example because he's the guy whose multiple flaws have been totally overlooked and whitewashed by the starry-eyed media.

(My short answer was three paragraphs...guess if you want my long answer, you'll have to wait a couple days for that. It'll either be worth it or be an excellent way to kill an hour.)
Short answer is fine with me