View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 06:09 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
First off, let me say this has been a very interesting and informative thread. When get around to buying new skates, I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to find the right skates (with a bit of effort -- especially given the limited offerings here in Japan).

Next I have a history question: My skates are old Bauer Air 50s I bought back when I thought one size below my shoe size was correct (which was after I bought hockey roller blades that matched my shoe size), so I have some size nines that, while technically too big, haven't given me much trouble... maybe... I guess. My question (finally) is where in the range of low-end, mid, high, etc. did the Air 50s fall? I got them on clearance about 14 years ago, from a general athletics store so there was no information given or gathered about that.

The reason I ask it that despite having just started playing ice hockey this past June, I want to buy some better skates and would like to be able to compare my Air 50s to skates I might purchase (with an upgrade in mind).

I'm an ok skater, and would like to buy a quality pair of skates that'll last me a while. Also, I'm 6'1"/185cm, and about 135lb/60kg, so I'm no Lindros. I was really surprised to find that size 7 or 7.5 skates fit me according to the proper fit recommendations I've read here. Given my height, could such "small" skates cause me any balance issues (i.e. falling on my face due to my tiny feet, which are also very narrow and super bony)?

I guess there's a lot to read here, but any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you, Aireye, for taking the time to start, and maintain this thread!