Thread: Line Combos: Roster/lines discussion
View Single Post
01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
If you are suggesting put Skinner at C, unfortunately it just doesn't work. His back checking is atrocious/non-existent.
But correcting bad back-checking habits is a heck of a lot easier to solve than say, someone who doesn't skate well or who has no vision. He's pretty young as Huracanista points out... seems harsh to deny him any chance at that position, assuming the available wingers on the top 2 lines then can balance out well. I know Ruutu's game pretty well but not the others so I can't say which combos would be best but with a little fire under him to be more defensively responsible,

Eric - Jordan - Ruutu
LW - Skinner - Semin

Could be pretty lethal. I could see Skinner and Semin racking up some big numbers pretty easily once they get used to each other. Not that LW - Jordan - Skinner wouldn't be a good line too... but with their vision and quickness, Skinner and Semin have the potential (if Semin doesn't have a brain fart) to be a great line.

Originally Posted by La Huracanista View Post
Skinner's the most skilled guy on our team in terms of hands. He has also been the best in the NHL at drawing penalties. He's extremely young though. The idea of putting him at wing is to shelter him somewhat and allow him to focus on offense at this point in his career, not to deny his talent.
Makes sense. I see him in the mold of someone like Eberle or Seguin though... playing C and W equally well as he matures, and helping to balance out your Top 6 whenever one position or the other has an injury issue or runs cold or whatever.

I'm happy with the trade as it was but I'd give Sutter, Dumoulin (who is doing really well / should fit in great when we have a slot for him), and that 8th pick for Skinner in a second, because of the above point that he's going to be a "play anywhere" kind of forward in the prime of his career. IMHO.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote