View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
MatthewFlames

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Agreed, the $8M cap is way too low given the salaries in the NHL. This allows teams with elite players to get a bargain, while teams with players a notch below will be forced to pay the same salary.

Especially now that it is going to be harder to circumvent the cap with back-loaded deals, the superstar players are going to be getting more money. Would anyone be shocked if Malkin got $10M when he hits the market in 2 years? Yet whoever has him will end up being allowed to auto-sign him at a 20% discount.

I already have enough problems with the auto-sign in light of the back-loaded deals. I should not be able to get Weber for life at a discount without having the burden of a 13 year deal.

But I just don't see how we can justify using NHL contracts as the baseline for everyone except the top players. I understand the max salary was to protect GMs from themselves, but that shouldn't be done by giving GMs that are lucky enough to have the best players a clear advantage over everyone else.
I don't much of a problem looking at the cap/salary numbers for the elite players and increasing our max salary if there is clear evidence that there are a number of players who earn more in the NHL. Jokinen wants his ten million a year for next season!!!

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote