View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
And I can't imagine us adding another top 4 defenseman. Ideally you'd like to have 6 top 4 defenseman, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with having Stralman on the bottom pairing at all. I particularly remember our offense being super dynamic whenever the Del Zotto-Stralman pairing was on and the play was often in the offensive zone.
If you look at the playoffs last year, our top 4 got a ton of ice time. MDZ was 4th with 21:39 per game and Stralman was 5th with 16:55 per game. Both Bickel and Eminger averaged under 7 minutes per game in the games they played.

And that's with no injuries. There was even a thread created, "what if Sauer had been healthy". We just didn't have enough defensive depth.

I have no problem with Stralman on the bottom pairing. But I do have a problem with relying on him in a top 4 role if there are injuries. There should be plenty of rentals available at the trade deadline. Buffalo has a bunch that will be UFA next year. If they don't make the playoffs again, I'm sure they'd be willing to deal. I wouldn't mind grabbing Rehger. Edmonton has a few too. Streit might be available, though I doubt the isles would trade with us.

Unless Sauer magically returns to full health and is able to play for us this year, we are going to need another dman at some point.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote