Thread: News Article: I don't heart Brian Wilde
View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Similarly, your counterargument is weak because there were plenty of other players who developed on those Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Los Angeles, etc that were not 1st overall draft picks.

There were no 1st overall draft picks on the LA team. There was a 2nd overall, a 4th overall bust we can count as overhead, a 5th overall traded for Mike Richards, an 11th overall, and a 13th overall traded for Dustin Penner. All those high picks imply years of sucking in which some players certainly developed.
Most of Pittsburgh's core is from either slightly before or slightly after Crosby and them turning it around, in fact the only player who was on that team for a significant amount of time before Crosby was drafted is Brooks Orpik, a 1st rounder who turned into a career grinder.

I do agree that being on a terrible team for a year or so doesn't ruin prospects, the problem is a mixture of that and rushing them like the Islanders and Blue Jackets do. And even besides that, last I checked the Oilers are still terrible, the Capitals won nothing and the Kings traded half their prospects for vets to go all the way, so I'm struggling to find any sort of winning formula here.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote