Thread: Prospect Info: Prospect Index 2012-2013
View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I still don't think using a 3rd on a guy that probably tops out as a 4C is smart.
Hell, using any draft pick on that is probably a bad idea since a 4C isn't very valuable in the grand scheme of things and they are on the market all the time, whether it's as a free agent coming out of developmental leagues or an established player.

FWIW, without even using the powers of hindsight (posted a blog about who I wanted with each pick prior to the draft), my picks would have been either Matt Murray (G, Sault Ste. Marie) or James Melindy (D, Moncton).
Both of them went after Kea in the third round and some of the others I wanted later (mostly goaltenders) did also.
Then there's also Charles Hudon, who I probably would have taken in the 2nd or 3rd as long as he checked out medically after being concussed in the playoffs (I had him in the 4th because I wasn't sure of how he was doing, ended up going in the 5th).

This is basically the same thing I was going to say to Jame when he asked a few days ago if I had changed my mind on the McCabe pick.
I'd rather go for upside instead of safe.

Well, they seem to go for the safe players, which isn't incredibly difficult.
They may end up with a player and it makes their drafting record look better, but having a whole stable of average prospects doesn't do you much good (look no further than this team).
Hopefully with the increased scouting budget they'll go after more junior A kids, Europeans, and with possibly increased connections and viewings of kids prior to junior hockey, ones that are buried on the depth charts of contending CHL teams.
I disagree: Myers, Ennis, Armia, and Grigs can all be viewed as risky picks, though none were reaches.