View Single Post
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,655
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
So say that a fairly good player who could possibly play in the SM-Liiga wanted to (eventually) play US college hockey. I realize this maybe a very small percentage (if that), but would Junior "A" or "B" teams be able to somehow help that player retain his NCAA eligibility? If so, how? If not, are the leagues more likely to push him toward the SM-Liiga even if he has expressed a desire to play US collegiate hockey?
Doesn't this have more to do with NCAA rulings? So I guess you should tell us.

But if I understood right, what you're basically asking that is there a way a player could play men's games but still only be registered within a junior team of his club - the answer is no. You wanna play even a single men's game, you have to be added to the men's roster. A player can, of course, be in the roster of various age groups from grown men to the lowest age group he is eligible with. (Aleksander Barkov, for example, at the time of making his SM-liiga debut could have played all Junior C, B, A and SM-liiga games at the same time if he wanted) - but never within just single one them while attending multiple. So there is no loophole that allows a player to play men's games and be only listed with a letter junior squad with his club.

Unless there is a game limit in the NCAA ruling (meaning, a player can play a number of pro games before becoming ineligible), then a single game within SM-liiga is very likely going to be all it takes. Of course, this is largely a hypothetical question, given how any junior player considered good enough for men's games is probably not seriously considering US college hockey as his next career step, as there is no need to seek out an alternative route. If he's not a staple in SM-liiga yet, Mestis is very likely the next destination.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote