View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
But, go beyond that . . . Tangradi in camp before the 2009-2010 season, Despres before the 2010-2011 season, Morrow before the 2011-2012 season (with Orpik on the shelf). Despres, o'k, I get the 'no spot' argument, although there really wouldn't have been any harm then not starting Engo or Lovejoy for a few games. Anyway, those guys didn't even get the shot.

So, I'll ask you this: Camp before the 2006-2007 season. Pens have a full roster, even with Geno getting hurt. They're on a tight budget after the 2005-2006 debacle. Does Bylsma go to bat for Staal and Letang getting a cup of coffee? Therrien did. I've seen nothing to suggest that Bylsma would have.
And it's not all on Bylsma. I wanna be fair. I think MOST of us wanted a quality UFA defenseman in the summer of 2010. Shero didn't have to sign two, but he did. I would have been happy with one of Martin or Michalek. Both was overkill in my mind. That would have opened a spot on D. Shero never seems satisfied with his blueline quantity, though. At some point, you need to leave the door slightly ajar, so that one of your kids can bust it down.

Also, the GM and coach aren't always on the same page. That too is a factor. For instance, Shero clearly prefers having an enforcer. I mean, he continues to sign one every year. I am with him on that point, but Bylsma is a four-line coach. He prefers little grinding types. Similarly, Shero decided NOT to replace Steve Sullivan. So, that (at least in my mind) is an indication that the GM wants a young player to move into a top-six forward role.

Let's see what the coach views as a top-six forward.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote