View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I think a lot of where Suter's elite status comes from is the way Weber and Suter have looked while the other was injured. Weber went down early a couple of seasons back, and when Hamhuis moved up to play with Suter the top pair still looked good.

When Suter has gone down to injury we've seen Weber with third pairing guys.

I think this brought forth the popular opinion that Suter is actually the better of the two. That opinion spread around HF Boards as people were using the opinions of Nashville fans to support their own opinion of Suter.

As far as the rest of the hockey community is concerned, Suter has always been looked at as a great defenseman, which he is. When he played at the Olympics his reputation grew even bigger.

I used to think they were fairly evenly matched, each of them excelling in areas in which the other was not necessarily elite. Since then we have seen Weber elevate his game to Norris trophy levels, while Suter eventually seemed to become increasingly disinterested. Maybe on the Wild he earns that superstar contract he got. Maybe his problem was not wanting to be in Nashville any longer.

I don't think he is a superstar yet, and I'm not sure his game will ever be rounded enough to reach that level. I think he is near the top of the list in terms of defensive defensemen, but he isn't on the same level as Weber, Chara, Doughty or Keith, IMO.