View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Basically the way I look at is this: you're better off drafting and developing someone that has the potential to be an important part of your team rather than someone that is just a spare part type.
It may seem obvious, but if you look at it in terms of value, I think it becomes clear.
I don't think 3rd line centers or NHL caliber defensemen are spare parts.

Quote:
Would you rather spend a draft pick and time developing a scorer or pay for one?
I'd rather draft with the entire picture in mind, the entire picture is not scorers and #1 defensemen only. Drafting scorers in the 3rd round gets you Clarke MacArthur... woohoo

Quote:
If you're trading for a good one, you're bound to give up something equally as good or even better, depending on the situation.
If you're getting one in free agency, they're right around the end of their prime, are statistically very likely to disappoint, and you're likely overpaying. If you draft one, it's a draft pick and time that you're giving up and you could end up with something that is very valuable.

Now replace "scorer" in the question with "checker" and think about it. They don't hold much value on the market, are readily available, and while checkers are important to teams, they're not going to win you games like a scorer will.
The difference is, the good ones... aren't readily available on the market.

And they do win you games... especially in the playoffs.

Quote:
So when it comes down to it, it's great that Kea is showing positive signs.
However, was the third round really a good time to pick up a 4C?
Not in my books when top six + 3C/top four D/starters with a decent shot of reaching their potential were still on the board.
I find it odd that you believe finding a "scorer" in the 3rd round is possible, but that Kea becoming a good 3rd line defensive forward is somehow not possible... That was your draft day thoughts, and oddly enough, they haven't changed. Just like with McCabe, not even a wonderful WJC performance has changed your mind.

I think Kea's ceiling is a 3C (not discussing whether he reaches it or not, or even the odds of him reaching it), and it is quite an important position to have in the pipeline. Or haven't you noticed that there is a hole in that area throughout the organization?