View Single Post
Old
01-11-2013, 10:05 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97980208 View Post
Thank you so much Aireaye! (And my apologies for misspelling your name in my previous post -- just caught that.)

Yeah, I recall paying about $175 for my skates (maybe not "clearance" after all).

I'm willing to spend about $700 if I have to (being able to do so easily is a different story), but what I've read in this thread has lead me to believe that, due to my skill level and size, I won't need to buy something so high end (stiffness/break-in issues, etc). So being able to find something worthwhile at a lower price range is good news -- especially given the increases in technology.

Thanks, too, for the skate suggestions. Ultimately, fit will be the deciding factor, but I'm glad to see Bauer and Easton on the list. I like to be brand loyal, but don't want that to cause me to pick the wrong skates. We have Bauer, CCM, and Reeboks here (all in very limited quantities and varieties), but Easton is non-existent.

Playing (and learning) here in Japan is interesting. I'm about 6 inches taller than most of the other players, and due to their smaller size, I don't give up nearly as much weight as I would were I playing in North America. A few weeks ago I played against a Canadian guy who was about 6'2", 250lb. That was way different. I need to drastically increase my leg strength to be able to slow a guy like that.

Thanks again! Hopefully I'll be able to find the right pair despite the limited options!
Aha I don't care about that, but thanks.

I'm glad your attitude is about fit because I know it's hard to get the best selection over there. A fellow member here (michaelshu) is a pretty good player over in Indonesia and we had a little conversation about his skates as well. Maybe he could give you some insight into his experiences as well. (Yay networking!)

Well, I typically would steer beginner players, weak skaters and skinnier/smaller minor hockey players relative to ability away from the higher end skates, even if they want them. If they insist then I'll obviously take the money lol. However use your better judgement on this one. If you feel that you are a competent skater (can do all of the basic skills, crossovers, stop starts, pivoting and backwards crossovers) and you believe that added lateral ankle support would benefit your edge control and stability, then by all means look up. A higher end skate would typically be more durable as well.

I'm about your weight +/- 5lbs and around 5'10" on a good day. I believe I am a competent skater (see above) and I wear a stiff top end skate which helped me greatly. I moved from a pair of Mission AmpFlys to my current Easton S15s.

If you feel that you are competent enough, then a stiffer skate would definitely help you. While you should probably not need to spend 700 for pretty much top-end skates, mid-end skates would be excellent value. Especially coming from the skates you have. Throwing out some examples, the Vapor X 4.0 and 5.0 skates are great, Nexus 600 or 800, Easton EQ40/EQ4 etc.

Keep us updated if you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
went to my hockey practice/game with my synergy skates and not too bad except after 40 mins the left foot started to hurt where that little bone bump is above the inner arch. Chafe mark the size of a nickel which scraped some skin off. Luckily does not look like a blister. Still, would like to have a reasonably tight skate without this, any suggestions?

So far my best idea is maybe using a large bandaid for protection.Or a gauze pad. I was already wearing cushioned hockey socks. I also have a liner sock I can wear, should I put those under the cushioned ones like hiking shoes?
Bone bump above inner arch...navicular bone!

You have several options here:
- If you feel that, overall, you would benefit if the whole skate boot were to be broken in more, then I would re bake that boot. Once warm and laced up, I would press in (hands, get creative etc.) on that problem spot to further help create a manual indent
- If you feel that the rest of the skate feels fine and that's your only problem spot, I would ask the shop you got them at to punch in that spot for you to, again, create an indent
- If you do not have access to that, you could spot treat that area yourself at home: Lace up your skate(s) tightly, grab a heat gun or hair dryer and warm up the problem spot and do the second half of option 1. You could create a small mound of tape, gauze etc. on that problem spot on your foot to further push in that indent