View Single Post
Old
01-12-2013, 10:10 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I think that's a very misleading comparison, as people weren't enamored with Sutter only for points, it was his overall game..especially defensively. While I also like the progression Tlusty has made and have decent expectations for him this year, a PPG comparison to Sutter isn't really valid given the role Brandon was asked to play. With linemates like Dwyer and Nodl and asked to go up against the other team's top line as a checking line (and only getting 25 seconds a game on the PP), he's not going to score much. Tlusy's "breakout" season came when he was put on Staal's line. Quite a big difference.

The one year where he wasn't in a strictly defensive role and saw some PP time, Sutter had 21G and 40 points. I'm pretty confident that he he was used in a more offensive role, his PPG average would be considerably higher.
Sutter has played with the same Staal as Tlusty in the past and didn't make near the impact that Jiri did. And when he wasn't playing with Staal, Tlusty wasn't getting much better linemates either while only getting :25 seconds more PP time than Sutter. And that can be almost balanced out by Sutter getting 1:30 more even strength time than Tlusty.

I realize that Sutter brought more to the team than just points, but I was just throwing it out there to put it in perspective a bit. While great defensively, Sutter is looking more John Madden than Rod Brind'amour at this point. Tlusty is no slouch defensively (though obviously not as good) and is looking like he can find his scoring touch as well. Yet one was a fan favorite, hate to see him go because he was so good type and one is an after thought with most fans. I liked Sutter too, but is he really *that* much better than Tlusty is or can be? I don't think so.

*Yes I fully realize Sutter can improve too and probably will with the Penguins, but as of right now, I think we really overrated Sutter around here compared to a guy like Tlusty.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote