Thread: Line Combos: 2013 Line Combos
View Single Post
Old
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Well his average time on ice was slightly more then Cowen but yes its debatable between the two of them they both kindof flip flopped.

Point is there is no Cowen and Phillips has barely been on the ice and is a year older. Methot will also not log as many minutes as Kuba did plus like I mentioned earlier the schedule is condensed. Im starting to think they need two D men not just one.
I kind of think Murray has given up on stop gaps. He did take a flyer on Latendresse at $2 million, but he is young and has potential and it was a one year deal. My point is that I think Murray is looking for a defenceman or even two that he will definitely want to keep for multiple years. No stop gap players like Lee or Gilroy were. No signing Chris Campoli, no signing a very old defenceman as a UFA who is a stop gap.

They gave Carkner a shot as a career AHL guy. They gave Derek Smith a taste and he stuck with Calgary last season. I don't think it is beyond the realm of possibility that Benoit gets a shot until Lundin comes back. Unless he is not good enough he is quite likely to get a shot at the start of the season. Wiercioch will get a shot to be the 4/5 D-man. This is the key thing the Murray's will look at the first 10 games of the season. They need him to be effective enough to log 20 mins a night... to play about as much as Phillips does. To either play with Gonchar on the 2nd pairing or anchor the bottom pairing. Borowiecki has a shot if either of the other 2 call-ups fail. If all 3 fail... and Lundin does not return soon or he fails when he does which is possible then Murray will need to make a move to get a stop gap. I really don't think he wants to get a stop gap right now.

Now all of this said... Murray is in the market for a defenceman that will be here long term. If he sees a guy he likes that is available he will try hard to get him, whether it is tomorrow, the deadline, the off season. Like Methot, he clearly really liked and he was willing to pay the price to get him.

The only UFA I could see him possibly be interested in is Kurtis Foster... and only if he knows something about him or thinks he can be a reclaimation project like Latendresse. He is youngish enough, big and local. Though he has not done well for a few seasons and isn't exactly physical. Murray may have no interest at all in him, I don't know or know much about him except he had that great season in Tampa and earlier he had decent offensive production in Minnesota. He has the benefit of being available... but that criteria is not enough unless Murray sees something special in him.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote