Cole want return a Cane?
View Single Post
01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Let's get some facts out there:
1) Cole just came off a career year with the only team other than Carolina he's played a full season with.
2) He has shown no indication that he dislikes Montreal, and Montreal fans have not turned on him (yet).
3) His comments likely have little to do with where he is playing and more to do with the new CBA and frustration with Bettman.
2) Cole is still under contract for two seasons after this year.
3) Montreal will make full use of its 2 Amnesty buyouts with its collection of ridiculously overpaid, virtually useless vets.
4) Montreal is a Cap spending team and wont pay part of the salary of a player (especially a player of Cole's calibre) without significant future value coming back.
5) If Cole intends to retire after this season, he has no value to any team and doesn't hurt Montreal in a financial sense.
6) If Cole's play craters, its unlikely another team (even Carolina) would want to take him on and more likely he considers retirement.
Taking all that into account, at this point in time, Montreal doesn't move him for the proposed deals in this thread. As for the future, who knows what will happen.
I can see the OP's deal happening IF Cole regresses this season to a 20-25 goal scorer, the Habs are out of the playoff hunt, Bergevin can't generate a bidding war and Montreal trades his full salary. Beyond that, not happening.
Last edited by Captain Smurf: 01-12-2013 at
View Public Profile
Captain Smurf's albums
Find More Posts by Captain Smurf