View Single Post
Old
01-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Unlimited View Post
Blues - Ducks

Blues trade a 3rd round pick to Anaheim for a negotiation period with pending UFA Getzlaf. If he agrees to a contract extension with St Louis,
2012 First Round Pick
Ty Rattie
D'Agostini
Steen

Getzlaf appears to be the best pending UFA center for 2013. The Blues have $32M payroll in 2013. St Louis offers a package that resembles what Columbus got for Rick Nash to get a big first line two-way center that would work well in Hitchcock's system. Blues give up rebuilding pieces of two 2013 picks, a top prospect, and 2 NHL players.
Form the Ducks POV, it is a nice package, but it doesn't service their needs. Centers is what they want, and if they are losing their star C, then they will be wanting someone more proven than Steen at C coming back.

From the Blues perspective... I hate to keep banging the drum, but while we only have $32.4m committed to salary next season we still need to sign/replace Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, McDonald, Russell, Cole, D'Agostini, Stewart, Nichol and Langenbrunner. Our salary bill for this year was due to be $46.6m. So the rise is going to be significant and basically kills the chances of this as a trade.

I might be in the minority here, but I like our current set up. Rolling 3 high-end 2nd lines means we have natural depth and don't have to worry about 1 star guy getting injured.