N. Schultz-Theo Peckham
Potter-Sutton

over

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Salvador
Volchenkov-Zidlicky
Tallinder-Harrold

Which D made it to the SCF again?
Let me clarify. The guys we're talking about in the deal wouldn't be more than bottom pair here. There's no point in bickering over which defense core is better, when only a couple of guys are being discussed. I'd measure up Smid, Petry and Whitney against your top three and say they are comparable though. Certainly last year New Jersey had better defensive depth, and considering we didn`t have J. Schultz at all, N. Schultz until the trade deadline, Whitney is healthier now than he was last year and Petry really didn`t hit his stride until December, our defense core already looks very different than what we started with last year. Anyway, if we did this trade, our defense would look like this:

J. Schultz - Whitney
Smid - Petry
N. Scultz - Tallinder/Volchenkov

This is what the pairings in Edmonton would almost certainly look like if we made this move. Having Volchenkov or Tallinder would certainly be better than having Potter or Peckham (Sutton is injured and likely done), but not worth moving Hemsky for unless something else pretty sweet came along with the defenseman. And I don`t see Lou offering up enough on top of either player to make it worth our while.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote