View Single Post
Old
01-12-2013, 06:21 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
For the record, we were letting in a lot more goals early in the year, when Whitney wasn't playing, before we had N. Schultz and before Petry was moved to Smid's pair and he really took off. With a healthy Whitney (which of course is a toss up), a full season of N. Schultz, Petry emerging as a very good top 4 guy (who played against top offensive players, btw), and adding Justin Schultz, we should already have a lot better defense than what we had last season without making a move for another depth defenseman.
I don't doubt for a second that Edmonton's defense will be better this year than last year.

My issue is with taking guys who were previous unknowns/avewrage guys and selectively choosing which half of a night/day season to ignore and which to use when evaluating them.

People in this thread are comparing Petry/Smid to Carlson/Alzner, and which I don't even come close to agreeing with at this point.

The only Edmonton defenseman I'd move a NJ defenseman to make room for no questions asked is Whitney. Petry and Smid certainly quality defenseman but neither would make New Jersey's top-4 at the moment. J. Schultz is a complete unknown and the rest are role players.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote