View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 01:47 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
Jake Gardiner hasn't done anything yet. He's certainly not as good as Erik Johnson and may not ever be.

Duchene is like 21 years old - and already has accomplished a lot. Had a tough year with injuries but way to early to give up on him, especially for a guy like Gardiner.

I get Leafs fans are high on Gardiner but you have to wait for him to actually establish himself as a legit #1 defender before thinking he has the value of one. Right now he has about as much value as guys like John Moore in Columbus, Slava Voynov in LA, Roman Josi in Nashville, etc.
Ehhhh, I get what you're saying, but John Moore's got 7 points in 69 NHL games, Voynov's got 20 in 54, Josi has 16 in 52, and Gardiner has 30 in 75. I'd say he and Voynov are close-ish, but Moore and Josi are a little lower than both. I'd give the edge to Gardiner because he's got the above-average skating going for him.

Also I doubt he ever becomes a #1 defenseman. He doesn't do much defensively and he's a trainwreck in front of his own net. Led all rookie D in scoring, so that counts for something I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Also :

Andrej Meszaros
82 GP 10 G 29 A 39 PTS

At least 1 or 2 D men come into the league each year like that and then fall back to earth
I dunno, all the guys you've listed are still pretty good players. If Gardiner becomes Andrej Meszaros or Keith Ballard, I'm a happy Leafs fan.

Also, since we only have points to evaluate here, and points for defensemen have a lower spread than for forwards, stats (and it pains me to say this) kinda head out the window.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote