View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 04:32 AM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I was also factoring in the fact that our depth is pretty poor beyond them. Besides whichever of Hagelin or Kreider is on the third line, there is not one person I am comfortable with in the top 6. There is also (as of now) not many capable replacements in the bottom 6 in Hartford.

I really wouldn't mind having Callahan on the third line ES. His main attributes ES are his defensive one - he's an effective player, but not terribly efficient at scoring ES. I feel like he'd still be utilized effectively in a third line defensive role with PK and PP time.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Pyatt-Boyle-Callahan
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

I like Pyatt, but I'd prefer him on the fourth line and have a more defensively responsible player there that we can pick up later, especially the way Torts plays his third line. A Feds from a few years ago could come in real handy now.

Not something I really want, necessarily, but Pyatt's numbers have been low but he's been primarily a third liner, occasionally getting shifted on the fourth line. He has the size, aggression and hands around the net to play on a scoring line, because, as you say, he's not a very defensive player. If he was a little faster or just a bit more productive, I would say the idea of exploring:

Kreider - Richards - Nash
Pyatt - Stepan - Gaborik
Hagelin - Boyle - Callahan
Rupp - Halpern - Asham

Would be intriguing for the fact that a big body like Pyatt who is strong in the corners (his main strength) and throws his weight around could really be good on a line with Gaborik (create space, protect) but, more importantly, that third line would be a DYNAMITE shutdown line. Maybe the best overall (all three players considered) shutdown line in hockey. Again, not something I actually want because Pyatt is just a bit too slow, with too low a numbers, but an intriguing thought. I could see Torts actually letting Pyatt get a crack at the top six at some point though, considering how much he juggles the lines. Pyatt has gotten regular PP minutes on the second unit most of his career, so he CAN play with a skilled line.