Thread: Proposal: Subban to DET
View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
solo16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
LOL, Brendan Smith has nothing close to the Pedigree of Subban. Subban played for Canada's World Junior team, won gold and was on the tournament All-Star team. Dominated in the AHL.
While Subban was in Juniors Smith was competing for the Hobey Baker (as an under-ager and a defenseman. Being top 5 in the league in points (as a defenseman). Scoring more points than Justin Schultz ever did (to name drop)

They were the same draft class. Smith choose 20 spots earlier.

NHL production will probably be similar this year. Looking at the AHL and NHL playing/time games. But feel free to bring this up at the end of the season.

They both had good AHL. Subban's first year was better (though on a better team).

Subban is definitely ahead in development but Smith is one average (30 point) season from being right on the same level.

I do not think many gm's would trade the two because the only difference between the two is playing time (see less mistakes) and a little luck. How much is Subban's two years in the NHL really worth to a GM? A second? I think both GM's laugh at a deal with Subban and Smith at the heart.

I think Subban has struggled as a top pair defender. Looked to me like he badly needed to be hidden on the second pair again. Maybe this is his year.

In full disclosure, I expect Subban to break out to a true number 1 in the near future. Much like Smith he should end up a 45-50 point defenseman (at some point in the next 5 years). I like both players but I think they are both young and need to work on their complete game.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote