View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
I like Reaves alot too but when I attended the informal skates on Thur and Fri, both days he seemed gassed after some of the drills. He didn't look out of shape, hes always been a big boy but just wasn't that energizer bunny we've seen of the past. Porter on the other hand was flying around all over the ice, very high energy. I think he realizes he is gonna be in a fight for that last spot and he is ready.
Well, ideally both Reaves and Porter would be on the club....but I think if you are trying to make room for Schwartz, with the idea of giving him the Perron rookie treatment (where he scratches every few games and rotate in D'Agostini or whoever) then you have to figure out a way to do it. Would they roll with just 6 D-men? That seems doubtful and unwise.

Nichol-Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves-Porter-D'Agostini

One of those guys isn't on the roster if Schwatz is. I think you can cross Sobotka and Langenbrunner off that list. After the quote I mentioned above, I think you can cross D'Agostini of the list, too (although that doesn't mean he's starting). Since Nichol is the projected center (though Sobotka could do it, too) I think he's got a spot unless he shows up out of shape or something.

I come back to Reaves/Porter fighting for the final roster spot. And really, it makes more sense to maximize Schwartz's development and contribution to the team at the expense of either of those guys, if that's the trade off. I love Reaves and Porter both. There were times last year when the 4th line was the sparkplug that got the team going, and I credit both of those players. I also happen to think both men have shown enough to deserve a full-time NHL job, but the roster doesn't seem to allow for it unless there's an injury or Schwartz goes to the AHL.

I don't favor a trade, as I think the forward depth is crucial, but it would suck to lose one of them to waivers. I think Porter is the more likely guy to get claimed, as I think Reaves is viewed more as a goon (but we know he is more than that).