View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 12:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think you're wrong on the retiring part. I don't think that is an option at all for Gomez. As for tearing up his contract, sounds good in theory, but lets be honest here. Who in their right mind would do that? I'm not saying I'm home losing sleep over this, I just wish this **** would happen to players of lesser character. Gomez is a good guy and I have a bit of a soft spot for him.

The idea that he should just tear up his contract is not a realistic option for Gomez. Please try to look at this rationally and from Scott's perspective for five minutes.

I feel like the NHLPA screwed one of their own today. I'm not sure why they weren't adamant about the compliance buyouts being effective immediately. This all could have been avoided.
It's possible the retiring loophole doesn't exist anymore, I admit. As others have said, though, there are things more important than money. Those disagreeing with the decision to basically keep the lock-out alive in Gomez' case are arguing that it's a shame to keep a hockey player from playing hockey. My argument is simply that nobody is keeping him from playing hockey. It just depends on what his priorities are. If his number one priority is playing hockey, then the choice is simple.

I'm not going to shed a tear for him when a phone call or two could get him back on the ice. However, I do agree with ayotollah that we shouldn't underestimate how hard it might be for someone who has only known one thing to be thrown out of the club. He CAN, however, work his way back in through the right decisions. Lets use some of that rationality you prescribed to look at Gomez' financial situation and agree that he's made more than even most elite NHL players, he won't miss the last few million.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote