View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Agree with you, Abdelkader isn't enough good at center play, even though he's good at faceoffs. That faceoff skill is good for penalty kill, but that's outside of this real center discussion. 5-on-5 play is what matters 90%.

This is also one reason why I've been touting that Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Filppula-Helm center core. No one can match that in this league. Then there's no weak center in any line, all can defend well, skate and rush the puck. Really traditional Red Wings center work. When every of your line is strong at centre, you have very very deep offence, nothing like we had for example at last season.

Our winger depth is now so much better, that we could build that extremely strong center-core (if Helm ever gets healthy again )

Yeah yeah, "Filppula has to be at TOP6 and Helm is the best 3rd center in the league, Babcock said it!", I've heard that enough and know that. They can get their extra minutes with extra shifts at key moments of the game, no problem. But to get really balanced attack, you put the best guys in the middle and then build around them.
I've also been on board with having Flip centering the 3rd line and moving Helm to the 4th C spot, and hope to see that happen this season. Our scoring would be better spread out thru 3 potentially solid lines, and a 4th line of Helm-Abby-Tootoo would be a really disruptive line for the opposition. Teams would have to play their best defensive players against our top 2 lines, letting Flip work against some lesser competition.

Helm centering our 4th line is a huge upgrade in almost every way over Emmerton, and I just don't see any room for Mursak anywhere. The writing is on the wall for Emmerton in that we've got guys like Jarnkrok and Sheahan coming up soon, so there just won't be a place for the guy. And injuries basically took away Mursak's chance with the Wings, hoping he gets a better opportunity elsewhere.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote