View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 06:46 PM
xposbrad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
The way I see it, with Pacioretty/Gorges/Price locked up long-term, and Galchenyuk in the system, our stanley cup contention window is 2015-2018 or so.

We should definitely trade some vets, we can't trade all the vets in my opinion as that's hard to pull off, there's only so much demand in the trade market. We also need to go for the playoffs in the 2014-2015 season in order to develop our young players and transition to being a winning team, same as the oilers are doing this year.
That's probably accurate, however, it will also depend on what happens to those players as well. Someone can get injured, regress, get traded. There are a lot of factors. Except the main one is, the habs do not have the current set of players to win it this year or probably next. It would probably take another 1-2 years of solid drafting with near ready players to make an impact for the 2015 season. As much as we have core players, and prospects, every other team has the same. If not better prospects, and will accumulate more as well depending on their draft positions.

Right now, if MB wants to win for 2015-2018, it would be smart to trade anyone have value for picks/prospects that will not factor in that window of when we are ready to turn this club around. I just don't see us doing the necessary steps though for us to achieve the next level. I think we are destined to be a middle of the pack/somewhat competitive team for quite a while, never able to take the next step though since that will require sucking and getting several years worth of top picks.