View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
you make it sound like we had a Bobby Orr in the making or something. From what I remember most people were happy that we got the "best" player in the trade at that time.?
Again... go look at that trade thread. Most folks thought it was terrible. Then we found out we included Higgins... then McD.... then people freaked out. And deservedly so.
Quote:
I will say it again. Nobody knew how McD would turn out. You make it sound like he was already in the NHL dominating.
And again, most of us don't need the benefit of hindsight for this. We knew he was a good prospect who had a very good chance of coming back and biting us in the ass and that's exactly what's happening now.

Don't give me this BS about how we didn't know anything...
Quote:
Every GM makes bad moves this one just turned out horrible just like the sharks trade when we got Paches and Gorges. It goes both ways you win trades you lose trades now get over it. This was how long ago?
Stop being an apologist. It was stupid then and looks even worse now. And no, I'm not going to get over this until our friend Ryan McD retires.

Not only did we take on a ridiculous contract hit for a player who helped keep us medicore for four freaking years, we gave up assets to get him. Good thing they didn't ask for Subban too.

Quote:
we could have given up a bag of crap and NY still would have won that trade.
Right. So why the hell are you defending it? Why are you trying to make it seem as though we didn't know this when it happened?
Quote:
No matter how good someone is playing in the minors there is absolutely no way we can know how good the player really is for the NHL.
That is just about the dumbest argument I've heard from people on this deal. We heard this crap back then and I'm shocked that you're actually trying to use it now.

The guy was a first round pick. So yeah, the odds are actually pretty good that he's going to turn into a decent player. Hell, we have the best scouting in the league, all the MORE reason not to do it.

But you sit there and try to argue that there was no way to know? Dude, please...

Quote:
Not saying that this was the GM's mindset but they took a risk for sure and did it work? no way in hell. Does it work? Yes and this separates good GM's from the bad and sadly as much as I like Gainey this proved that he was not the right guy running the show in Montreal.

Things tend to even themselves out though as we won a trade when we got mac pac and gorges for rivet. Based on talent alone ant not contracts we won that trade more than NY won the Gomez trade.
Debatable... and irrelevant.

It was a totally stupid move and again, we didn't need the gift of hindsight to know it. Please don't sit there and try to pass this off as us only realizing this now. Some of us don't need to stick our fingers in water to know that it's wet.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote