View Single Post
Old
01-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
The #1 is obvious a week before the draft. In Januray, that's not always the case. In 2011, Couturier was believed to be #1 for a good while, and RNH was just getting on the radar after missing the WJC cut. In 2006, Kessel was expected to contend for #1. Yakupov, Tavares, Stamkos, and Crosby were the only truly obvious #1 picks in January since the last lockout.

Things can still change at this point of the year, and it occurs often enough to legitimately discuss Drouin overtaking Mackinnon.
When Couturier was #1, it was a full year before the draft, and the beginning of the draft year. It's similar to Ekblad at the moment. I assume Ekblad will be #1 ranked for 2014 at the beginning of the 2013-2014 season as well.

At this time in the year, it's usually fairly obvious, but you do have a point about a week before the draft. At that point, it's very obvious, but I still believe in January, you have a very solid idea.

I still maintain Drouin has little to no chance at being #1 unless he goes absolute beast mode in the playoffs or something out of the ordinary like that.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote