View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 02:24 AM
Rinzler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
What about Pittsburgh? They've been contending as long as we have, actually longer, and their prospect pool seems at least passable, even with out bombing since Crosby and Malkin were drafted. On the other side, what about Columbus? Their prospects aren't spectacular for a team that's been so low for so long, or Winnipeg as well. I don't mean to say they are "poor", but outside of a few key players, it's not spectacular on either front either.

At the same time, Gillis throws around the words "perennial" and "contender" around a lot. With the exception of Hodgson, who apparently had some ill feelings on either side here, we are getting decent players at the top end of our prospect pool that are expected to contribute eventually, say in the few years our stars and core start to cool off. We've seen the "trade our youth for rentals" thing with Burke, it doesn't end well. This is why I think Leafs and Canucks fans need to hope their teams find other teams to deal with, we're not a good match at all.

His contract is a negative, but you can't honestly expect a perfect fit, can you? There isn't a 25 year old (ish) player that has already been a starter with the same kind of career numbers Luongo has that is being shopped. That simply doesn't happen. Luongo is available now, and the reason we're at each others throats is we can't decide how much of a negative his contract is.
I should have used the term "generally" because I am generalizing, obviously it's possible to maintain a strong prospect pool and remain competitive but it's awfully difficult to do so. It would mean that you really don't go after rentals much and can draft well year in and year out late in the draft (because you never get top picks, ever).

I don't like talking about Pittsburgh in this light though. They tanked at the best possible time and nailed two of the best players in the game. The oilers just got 3 #1 picks and they'll never even get a whiff to what Pittsburgh got in Malkin and Crosby. They are going to be solid for a very very long time and hit the jackpot. Not saying they didn't earn their success, but it's just not a recipe you can repeat when the secret ingredients are ridiculously rare.

You are right though, this is the core of teh debate. "How much has Luongo's contract devalued his worth as a player" hopefully we find out soon.