View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
I should have used the term "generally" because I am generalizing, obviously it's possible to maintain a strong prospect pool and remain competitive but it's awfully difficult to do so. It would mean that you really don't go after rentals much and can draft well year in and year out late in the draft (because you never get top picks, ever).

I don't like talking about Pittsburgh in this light though. They tanked at the best possible time and nailed two of the best players in the game. The oilers just got 3 #1 picks and they'll never even get a whiff to what Pittsburgh got in Malkin and Crosby. They are going to be solid for a very very long time and hit the jackpot. Not saying they didn't earn their success, but it's just not a recipe you can repeat when the secret ingredients are ridiculously rare.

You are right though, this is the core of teh debate. "How much has Luongo's contract devalued his worth as a player" hopefully we find out soon.
Sorry, yeah, figured it was in generalities, there is a lot of grey area. So far, I'd give Gillis credit for doing that though. Pahlsson (due to unforeseen events) and Gragnani are the only "rentals" we've had, and Hodgson, Schroeder, Gaunce and Jensen in 4 out of 5 first rounds isn't bad. With a little luck with all of them dropping a little bit from their projections. Development trumps drafting in my humble opinion, which is why the Pittsburghs and the Detroits of the league can stay on top.

Again, a lot of luck, I concede, but since then...they've been pretty steady in terms of drafting and development. Stinking out loud, as one of my other favourite teams, they did earn it, but once again, good management, good drafting and understanding ownership make differences too. Luck helps, but I think one of the two would still have them contending now, just maybe not as early.

I maintain, as I'm sure you gather, that his contract isn't a death sentence. There are even small positives, like the Canucks getting nailed with the majority of the savings that will be charged back. You're more of the frame of mind that it marginalizes his positives. Let's hear it though, I've had some proposals absolutely dumped on, but as a midway point (I can't in all honesty say "halfway" given the history here) between the two fanbases, what could the Leafs offer? I maintain we're poorly matched partners, but we could try to get back on the rails here I guess.