View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 10:37 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Sure, we can discuss it. I just wholeheartedly disagree with you considering Callahan, being the Rangers best all-around forward, should be playing more than 10-15 minutes a night at ES.

Kreider needs to learn to play both ways. Let him develop on the 3rd line and when Torts mixes up the lines bring him up if he proves he can be consistent.

Callahan had 29 goals last year. 29. Kreider played in the NCAA. We all hope Kreider turns out to be a good player but taking away the Rangers best all-around forward's minutes is not a good way to go about that.
Listen I respect what you are saying and I understand your point of view but I still disagree with kreider being on that 3rd line. Whether it's callahan or hagelin, one of the two should be on the 3rd line. And especially to the bolded part of your post, He still will play more than those minutes in general. I think if you consider PP and PK time, callahan will play 12-17 minutes a night of ES time regardless of what line he is on. Him being put on the 3rd line does not mean at all his ice time will decrease. Because in late game situations, or in any crucial situations callahan will be bumped up to the top 6 to have more defensive stability when holding a lead or with big faceoffs in the defensive end. He will be double shifted.

He will still get the ice time. You are moving Kreider up to play with better offensive players because it suits his particular game better. Being that callahan is a great all around player, you can put him on any line. Kreider, imo, you cannot.

The post below is also a good response to the debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
First of all, how many of Callahan's goals were ES? All stats show he is a pedestrian (offensive) ES player, and no Kreider-in-the-top-6-supporter (or whatever you want to call us) will argue against Callahan getting top PP/PK time. He will still get his goals on the PP, will still get his ice time, and will still get his points at ES (which favor a rough forecheck/cycle style anyway- which is what he'd be doing with Boyle and Pyatt. He would not be doing that with Stepan and Gaborik, while also forcing Gaborik to his non-natural LW since Callahan was terrible on his off-wing)

@ Antithesis, any line you put Kreider on will be somewhat of a defensive liability, because he's not a good defensive player, which is why I would 100% rather put him on a line where he's not being counted on to shutdown the likes of Crosby, Malkin, Giroux, Kovalchuk, Tavares.etc

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote