Thread: Value of: Brian Burke
View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
BinCookin

vCash: 500
Assets Burke created:
Sign Komisarek (money wasted, but he "counts" as an asset)
Sign Beachemin (Flip into Lupul and Gardiner, in retrospect AMAZING DEAL) (notice those 2 assets were acquired from a FA signing, and not by giving up any current assets
Sign Bozak (college FA)
Sign Gustovson (later released, and signed by detroit)
Sign Connelly (Center, who did not pan out, I actually really liked connelly from buffalo, sadly he has never been the same player)

Trade Hagman, Stajan, White for Phaneuf (I would call this a win for the most part as he is the captain now)
Trade Toskala, Blake for Giguere (Salary dump and goalie upgrade, worth it)
Trade Lombardi for Franson (Franson will be a useful defenseman this year, i bet he even makes the top 4)

For more details see a full listing of all trades here:

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/09...-the-burke-era

For the most part I think Burke did a great job trading.

Imagine this deal for Kessel.

Actual Deal: Kessel for 1st (Tyler Seguin), 1st (Doug Hamilton) 2nd (Jared Knight)
or THIS deal: Kessel for 1st (Erik Gudbranson OR ryan johansen OR nino neiderreiter);
1st (Nathan belieau or sean couterier or sven beartschi) and Jared Knight

Now, if they had placed 3rd, 4th or 5th last, You probably call the Kessel trade a win.

He gambled, and he lost. He lost his job on this one trade AND that includes Kessel being one of the best players in the league. Gudbranson, Belieau and Knight would be a great trade for Kessel.

Burke was good, he got unlucky.

My plan would have just been to TANK for 4 years
and take edmonton's draft picks. But that is just as risky a gamble.... OH and I would have been fired in 2 years, not 4

BinCookin is offline   Reply With Quote