Thread: Proposal: (DAL)-Ryder to (PIT)-??
View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 01:03 PM
wgknestrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
The search for a winger by Penguins fans has reached epic proportions despite their total lack of a need for an upgrade at this position.

The disregard of the problem with their defense is staggering. There is no way they can beat every team 8-7. Sonner or later they will hit a hot goalie and lose every game 7-1 and look bad doing it.

Their defense made their goaltendeing look worse than the average quality it is, and it isn't just the defenseman, it is the forwards lack of defensive play, at least that is how it was in the playoffs.

The highest scoring team in the league just doesn't need to add scoring unless it is at absolute bargain prices that they cannot refuse.

I would look at trading some of the fine D propsects they have for an established high quality defensive defenseman, someone in the mold of Dan Girardi or Dennis Seidenberg. A leader on defense, a guy who will tell the other D how to play the game that the coach wants them to play at the most effective level.

Scoring is only half the game, they won't be an elite team if they can't keep the puck out of their net.

Ok, there is my rant. I live in Pittsburgh and talk hockey with every Pens fan I can, it is rare for any of them to agree with me, but every once in a while I meet someone

The flaw in your logic is you assume PIT's goal against problems lie solely at the feet of their D. Goals against are a result of a total system. Generally you have #shots against (defense) x SV% (goaltending). They aren't totally independent of each other, but you get the point.

Pens were #4 in shots against last year....#5 the year before that (that's pretty consistent D IMO)
Pens were #23 in team SV%....#8 the year before that

I wonder what changed for the worse to cause their problems? I would place that right on the goaltender's mat before anyone else. I wonder if the Pens acquired any top talent goaltender in the offseason that has historically been much better than MAF?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote