View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 01:07 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
I don't see what all the bad comments regarding Gilroy are about. He is no All-Star defenseman but for 650k he is a good option for the 3rd pairing. He has put up better numbers with the Senators and Bolts, both teams worse than the Rangers team he was playing on before. Bickel is a loose canon and Eminger is injury-prone. Gilroy is as good a back-up defenseman as you can find for this amount of money.
At best he's an insurance policy that hopefully we won't ever have to use. He's a -16 for our AHL team--defensively unreliable and one of the softest defensemen I've ever seen playing defense for us and I've been following the Rangers since the 1971-72 season. His offense isn't really even that good--15 points in 34 AHL games equates to about 35 points over a full AHL season.

Here's the other thing from my perspective. Other people might see this differently but when I look at my bottom pair of defensemen I want them to be as sound positionally as possible. I don't so much care whether they put up a bunch of points or not so long as they're not difference makers in negative terms such as blowing coverages etc. The main goal for them is they get their 10 to 15 minutes per game and aren't constantly screwing up. I also want them to have some kind of physical presence. It doesn't necessarily have to be anything extreme but Eminger is a good case in point. He gets in the way. He's in the middle of collisions when he needs to be.

I'll agree that $650 K is not a lot but Gilroy is definitely a subpar NHL d-man as far as I'm concerned.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote