View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The projected 4th line (if Grigs is in tow) of Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta looks like the most likely pure checking line. That's the same line as was used last year with Gaustad (later Leino) replaced by Hecht. I'd say that line has similar defensive potential with better offensive potential. Obviously they wouldn't warrant enough ice time to shadow a top line every shift, so the role in practice would split with Vanek-Hodgson-Pommers as a strong two-way line. Foligno-Ennis-Stafford will get the offensive zone starts. Leino-Grigs-Ott would get the leftovers, which would probably be beneficial to both Leino and Grigorenko.

If Grigs isn't on the team then Hecht has to slide up between Leino and Ott and then a McCormick or Ellis join the 4th line. That 4th line then becomes a lot less reliable for ice time, but would still be solid as a checking line I'd think. If Grigs doesn't make the team, though, I imagine Vanek and Pominville might be split up to spread things around more.
But the catch is they wont be used as one for 3 reasons.

1) Ruff doesn't use a pure checking line and hasn't since Peca/CuBro left. There was a few week window this year but that was the exception.

2) A 4th line doesn't play enough to be a pure checking line. When he does have one its one of his top 3 lines.

3) Hecht is horrible at faceoffs and is hardly the center you want coming out to take a key defensive zone draw.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-14-2013 at 01:40 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote