View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If agree to disagree means "let me boil down your stance into something that's not really what you said" then I'm not sure I'm on board with that.

I'm far more concerned with the team's success as a whole than I am about Kreider being useless. If he can't find a way to contribute as a 3rd liner, then he's certainly not ready for a top-six role. For all of the times I heard "His speed and size will make him a 3rd liner at worst" there seems to be a lot of people trying to spoon feed him a spot in the top-six.

Kreider has already had plenty of bust threads. They're the least of my concerns. Player evaluation isn't this boards strong suit.
You said you feel Callahan or Hagelin (whom I firmly believe will always be the superior player to Kreider, but that could also be because I'm a biased Michigan student who had the pleasure of seeing him play two years ago on a daily basis) are better suited to the role I was describing (i.e. the top 6 role w/ Stepan), to which I said I fundamentally disagreed. Unless I misunderstood your comment, I'm not sure what you mean here.

And in addition, I've never stated he's a third liner at worst. He has never been a defensive type player, and never will. Could he thrive on a third-line scoring type role? Sure. But that's not how our current third line is currently built. If we had a say, Artem Anisimov, as our third line center, then I believe Kreider, Anisimov, and say a JT Miller type player could form an incredibly effective third line. However, he isn't going to get anything done with a Brian Boyle type center.

EDIT:

And also, I'm not saying he should be "handed" a role based on his playoff performance. I felt these would be the best lines to start the season. I'm absolutely not saying if he struggles there and looks out of place and looks like a defensive liability with Stepan and Gaborik he should stay there for another 10 games because of his playoff performance. Quite frankly, I don't care about his playoff performance. I care about the type of player he has developed to be over the past 3 1/2 years or so since we drafted him, and he has developed into the type of player that should thrive with Stepan and Gaborik. Again, it's a 48 game season, so if he looks out of place, by all means move him. I think that would be the ideal place to start him though- and if he shows he can handle it, it would balance our team in the best way.

Last edited by Matt4776: 01-14-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote