View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
GodHatesBuffalo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I also am going to put out there that I don't necessarily agree about the sentiments regarding 18 year olds playing and having success in the "new" NHL. I think players like Sean Couturier and Ryan Johansen were exposed to the NHL a bit too early (but that's just a personal opinion). Grigorenko is a special prospect; one that I am overly excited to see play. But if he ain't ready, don't thrust him into action and expect him not to be snakebitten and a bit discouraged. His potential raises the more he's allowed to grow.
I couldn't disagree more. Couturier worked on his two-way game and was not given the role of a playmaker. He was behind Giroux and Briere on the center depth chart, and him and schenn were brought in to learn the NHL and not given much power play time.
His numbers were still decent given his situation and he even put up a hat trick against pittsburgh in the post season.

You can't simply look at stats as the only indicator for how useful NHL experience is on a player. I'm pretty certain that a similar development would be much more beneficial to Grigorenko in comparison with the alternative, the QMJHL.

I want someone to display EVIDENCE on how its a good idea to keep Grigorenko in juniors. I don't see any downside in a player of Grigs stature learning in the big league.

GodHatesBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote