View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 03:28 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Either Donovan is good enough to make the Isles a better team right now, or he's not. If the team feels the Isles can win MORE games with Joe Finley, Matt Carkner, Ty Wishart, Jon Landry then Donovan stays in Bridgeport.

Same for Niederreiter and Strome. If they aren't better than: Tavares, Okposo, Moulson, Nielsen, Grabner, Boyes - they stay in BP and Niagara. (I wouldn't put either of those in the bottom six at this stage.

We have to think the Isles know best about Nino's ability today, versus last year, versus what his potential upside might be. Capuano and Snow saw him all season last year and I'm sure was watching him closely this year in the AHL. Same for Donovan and Strome.

I have no problem with them in the AHL (and Strome in the CHL).

I think BLINKMAN's got a point though, no reason to think Donovan won't continue to improve or develop once he's on the Islanders. In fact, his development would be REQUIRED in order for him to succeed. The idea around "defensemen take longer" means at the NHL level as well as prior levels. Facing NHL forwards only happens in the NHL so Donovan will require sheltered minutes and coaching and mentoring at the NHL level no matter how many seasons he plays in the AHL.

I'd rather have Donovan as a bottom pairing dman over Wishart or Landry. I do think the additional minutes and responsibility is a good thing for Donovan (and Nino) in the AHL, but playing behind a guy like Streit and Martinek and facing forwards in the NHL is a necessary and valuable step to NHL hockey. Does he HAVE TO get it now? no. Ultimately, I feel comfortable either way.
It's just confusing to me, because with Wishart/Landry you pretty much know what you're getting. Wishart is a big guy who isn't physical, brings basically zero offense and mediocre defense. He may still have some upside, but you are taking a pretty big gamble if you are banking on that. Landry is what he is. A bad defender who could potentially help on the PP. Honestly, I see him doing much more harm than good. Ness is the one guy who actually has some sort of upside, but based on his play vs Donovan's play this year - the fact that Ness was chosen makes me scratch my head. They are basically two guys who have similar upside, except Donovan is further along, bigger, slightly better offensively and much better defensively. Just doesn't make sense to me...

As far as up front, it just appears to me that the Isles are content with rolling a 1st line, a 3rd line, and two 4th lines. I just don't see any upside with Nielsen playing as the 2C and Cizikas as the 3C. This is going to be a team that really struggles to score goals. If they had a really strong defense I could live with it. Unfortunately, that's not the case.