View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAVS View Post
Because comparing an NHL worth is completely different to KHL worth. The KHL has been known to give ridiculously lucrative contracts to NHL players to entice them to stay in the KHL. Wasnt Jagr making over 10M per while here hes making under 5?
A dollar is a dollar. If O'Reilly doesn't care whether he plays in Russia or North America, then that instantly becomes his value.

Quote:
Its not a negotiating tactic when you force your employer a minimum.
If the employer is actually forced to a minimum, then it's not only a negotiating tactic, it's a highly successful one.

Quote:
Not only does he put a stranglehold on the contract negotiations, he also reduces, in part, the teams ability to get full value for him in a trade.
I disagree. It may limit the number of potential suitors, but if you're the Avs, you know that anyone interested values him as a $5M/yr player (or whatever he's asking). That means you're not getting deflated value.

Quote:
If the avs let him stay in the KHL, it just further devalues his nhl worth, and the notion of his ability to play as effectively in the NHL creep up the longer he stays there.
I disagree with this too. O'Reilly has proven his ability to play in the NHL, and it's quite clear to anybody paying attention that he's not over there for any reason but contractual ones. If GMs really thought playing in the KHL caused players to become less NHL-viable, I imagine we'd see a rather different relationship between the leagues.

Quote:
If he indeed needs any amount over 4M for him to come back, hes completely lost touch with reality and overpriced himself.
I would say the KHL (specifically his team) has overpriced him (if the rumors are correct). He has no reason not to take every penny they're willing to offer. He also has no reason not to continue taking that money as long as Magnitogorsk is still offering it (again assuming he doesn't care about playing in Russia vs North America).