View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Absolutely right. Plekanec just turned 30. He could remain in his prime for years and be a big part of our rebuilt team as it ascends, for all the reasons and examples you mentioned. Lafleurs Guy is right that the Habs screwed themselves by losing opportunity after opportunity to add great prospects. But sacrificing everything in the present for the uncertain future of prospects is just as shortsighted. Much better to build a team around the talent and ethic of Plekanec than use him as a bargaining chip.
Double agree. Since Koivu, my favourite player (apart from the "magie" of Kovy or scoring of Cammy...which was all talent) has been Plekanec. I've seen him go from farm team to big team and work his ass off every single game including after he got his contract. All the little girl stuff was so overblown and he shows fight more than ever in recent times. That and he is loyal to the CH, a great PKer, passer, fast skater, feeds his wingers amply, backchecks -- all the things I respect in a player's tenacity and ability. He's also a great locker room guy in that he thinks team first, not buddy buddy. I hate reading stuff about trading him cuz it would be in the same emotional wheelhouse as when Saku left/was not kept (for me, personally). And you're right about him mentoring Gally, as he's already provided some advice for him. Thing is, I also like DD and I am a huge believer in Eller being a very big force in the NHL a few years from now. It's hard when you get attached to certain players. Of course it's all about the front of the jersey, but that paradoxically means you really appreciate the players that display that mentality.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote