View Single Post
Old
01-14-2013, 06:05 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
If you look back at the post I quoted you would notice that he was touting Couturier as some impressive 13G scoring rookie 4th liner. Do I understand that he was 18-19 and obviously has higher upside than a 4th liner? Obviously. Am I instantly convinced he has PPG/Selke winning upside as many Flyer fans suggest on this board? Definately not.

In reality, Couturier is still very much unproven (offensively) and certainly hasn't shown enough to justify trading a potential franchise defenseman who will likely be drafted top 2 in this upcoming draft.

There was a reason why Couturier dropped to 8th overall in the 2011 Entry Draft and there really isn't any reason to assume he would catapult to the top 2-3 in the 2013 Entry Draft.
First of all, the reason couturier dropped to 8th overall is because of the illness he contracted that caused scouts to be wary of his development at that given time, even though he matched his point total from the year before in 10 less games. He seems to be proving them wrong, no? I mean, the kid came in and made one of the most potent offensive teams in the league an played a big role. Something has to be said about that.

And while I agree with your sentiment that Jones may have franchise potential, I disagree with your justification, because you're claiming that you wouldn't trade jones for potential (couturier) while jones has yet to play a single game at the pro level. Couturier did what he did as an 18-19 year old, and though jones is a fantastic prospect, I feel like multiple people on this board are selling couturier short because they're simply looking at his numbers and claiming that he's "overrated" and that flyers fans are just being homers. But what he brought last year as a teenager goes beyond simply numbers. He wasn't playing the role of a player that needed to be relied upon to produce offense every night, because we didnt need him to be, but the offensive skill is still there. He was a scorer in juniors, and in fact had the highest PPG percentage of any player in the draft in that year. It's absolutely absurd to push the fact that he scored 13g as a 4th liner on one of the best offensive teams in the league as a bad thing, and to use that as some kind of indication of what his future is, especially while that player is likely to be given the 2nd line C slot on his team, and forcing Danny Briere and Braydon Schenn into wing positions, specifically because of the things he showed last season. Couturier has the potential to be a franchise player, it just so happens that he's stuck behind Claude Giroux.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote